Alan Alexander Milne (A.A. Milne) was a dedicated father. He spent many wonderful hours with his son Christopher. Like most dads, he loved telling his son bedtime stories. He used his son's stuffed animals as characters in his stories. In 1924 Milne published a poem called "Teddy Bear" in the British magazine called "PUNCH". For Christmas 1925, he published a story called "The Wrong Sort of Bees," in which he changed the name of the bear, and Winnie-the-Pooh was born. The books about this "silly old bear" include Winnie-the-Pooh and The House at Pooh Corner, published in 1926 and 1928 respectively.
The original stuffed bear, that belonged to Christopher Robin, is on display at the New York Public Library. Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Tigger, Kanga and Roo as as happy there as they were in the 100 Acre Wood.